Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pearl Harbor Thoughts

There is absolutely nothing to do at night except watch tv. So for the like 4th time, i've watched bits and pieces of "Pearl Harbor" and i have mostly nothing good to say about it but there is one scene that I do particularly like.


1:51-3:53

Man. As a nurse-- could I do this? In case of some huge crisis where mass chaos, carnage overwhelm hospitals, would I be able to step up? Would I be able to remain calm, focused? Would I be able to send people to their deaths while triaging for the ones who have a chance? Scenes like this make me proud to be a part of this profession, but I wonder which instinct would win out. I'd love to say I'd fight through and be like Kate Beckinsale, but to be honest I think i'd be more like Jennifer Garner. I've never seen this kind of trauma on this scale in real life, and its too hard to say what I'd do in real life.

The best scenario I can compare to is seeing the crowded filled hallways and room in Mulago Labor and Delivery. I wanted to run so bad. The whole scene was heart breaking and daunting. I left and never went back, but maybe that was because I had a choice. In real life, i'd be there regardless of if I wanted in or out, does that change a person's instinctual response? Hm. Scenes like this also make me reflect on end times. I dont' know whats going to happen, but that there could potentially be some dark times ahead. I am reminded of Luke 21: 22-23 " for these are days of vengeance, to fulfill all that is written, Alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! For there will be great distress upon the earth and wrath against this people." This was one of the verses that made me want to pursue women's healthcare and midwifery. Jesus takes pity on these people group of pregnant women and new mothers, it feels like an indirect call to help them.

Who knows where all of this will go or how it will go down. But I am thankful God is enough and is strong enough to take me where I may be unwilling to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment